For this, it contributes to the almost abscense of urban centers and the contact with the nature of a region sprinkled of small villages and charming towns. In Alentejo the lowlands are a landmark, but we can also find mountainous regions, in a heterogeneity that helps to break the landscape routine.
The fine art of eating well is one of the strong points of Alentejo’s people: those who have enjoyed the famous Pork meat à Alentejana, the tasty Migas with Alguidar meat or the famous Garlic Açorda can testify the excellence of the gastronomy of the region. Most of Alentejo recipes contain bread and garlic and this was due to a severe period of poverty, which encouraged Alentejo people to value and use what was available for food.
Being a cheap and affordable food, bread reigned in various dishes that we can still taste today.
We feel the Alentejo as our own. A region that challenges us daily with its own strength, being the land where we live and where we develop our professional activity.
Cuba is a village of Baixo Alentejo, county seat and part of Beja District. It currently has about 3,200 inhabitants. In terms of area, the county has 172.09 km² of area and is inhabited by 4,878 inhabitants (according to data from 2011), and to the west we find the village of Alvito.
In terms of toponymy, the origin of the village title points to the Arab occupation and to the reconquest on the part of the Portuguese soldiers lead by D. Sancho II, that upon arrival at the village came across numerous vats that were used to manufacture of wine.
The curiosity between the identical names of this village and the island of Central America is related, according to a controversial theory by the historian Mascarenhas Barreto, to the fact that Christopher Columbus had actually been born in this village and had been in the service of Portugal as an infiltrated into the Kingdom of Spain, having named the island in honor of his homeland when he arrived there after the transatlantic boat trip.
Alvito is a village of the Baixo Alentejo, county seat and part of Beja District, with about 1,250 inhabitants. The county holds 2,504 inhabitants, spread over 264.85 km² of area, subdivided into 2 parishes.
The etymology of the word Alvito refers us to Olivetto, whose literal translation of this derivation from Latin, to the Portuguese of today, would be Olival (Group of Olive Trees). This is easily proven by the countless millennial olive trees that are found in the county.
Alvito had the first Portuguese “occupation” in 1234, when it was conquered and donated to D. Estêvão Anes in 1251 by D. Afonso III and by the Pestanas of Évora. From then on, when it was repopulated, Alvito became considerable in terms of population, considering the time. From then on and until the end of the monarchy, the village lived through golden and prosperous times, having been one of the centers of the political-economic life of the Alentejo and, inherently, of the country.
Restaurants and overnight stays